An Afro-Asian gastronomical fusion consisting of two famous dishes from two countries (Nigerian and Japan).
One of my absolute favourite Japanese dish of all time is sushi, I would walk into a sushi bar ready to spend all my money. Being a West African that can resist any rice dish, I thought it’ll be best if sushi, and jollof rice were fused, seeing that they had one key ingredient- rice!
- 2 cups sushi rice (washed thoroughly)
- 2 tbsp purple onion dices
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tbsp adobo seasoning
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/4 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 2 tbsp parboiled pepper blend (blended red bell pepper, onion, garlic, tomatoes and habanero pepper)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 11/2 – 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter
- Onion slices (to garnish)
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- 1 small ripe plantain (striped and fried till golden brown)
- 1/2 lb beef bottom round steak (marinated with seasonings of choice and oven grilled, striped)
- Black sesame seed
- Roasted seaweed sheet (store bought)
- A bamboo mat
- Heat up olive oil
- Add onion dieces, fry till translucent
- Add thyme and fry for 5-7 mins
- Add tomato paste, stir in and cook for about 5 mins
- Add parboil pepper blend, stir
- Add seasoning and spices
- Add about 1 cup water, simmer down.
- Stir in washed rice
- Add about 1-11/2 cups water
- Cover with parchment paper and steam for about 35 mins or till soft(really soft but not too mushy)
- Garnish with butter and onions, stir.
- Let it cool for about 1 hour or till it gets to room temperature (so that rice would hold together on seaweed sheet)
For the sushi
On a bamboo mat, place seaweed sheet, generously spread warm jollof rice, add a sprinkle of black sesame seed.
Line up beef strips, plantain strips and avocado
Roll mat (the first roll is to bind the sushi, so you’d need to gently squeeze as you roll).
Repeat rolling till you get to the other end of the sheet, then give it one last gentle squeeze to seal.
Slice and serve!
I enjoyed making this meal, every step of the process made my belly growl in anticipation of the deliciousness my taste buds was about to meet.